[The opinions expresssed in this entry are mine and mine alone.]
I have been really shocked to read that my beloved Mumsnet has been forced to post the following message on all of its talk threads:
It is with great regret that we have to ask members to refrain from any further discussion of Gina Ford, her methods or her books on the site. To find out why click here. We'd be very grateful if members could report any mentions of Gina Ford using the "contact Mumsnet" facility (the little red exclamation mark to the right of each posting). Many thanks. MNHQ.
For those of you who don't know, Gina Ford is a babycare expert who has published a number of books. I would say that most mothers in England own or have at least read one or more of her publications. I bought The Contented Little Baby Book when Toby was tiny and borrowed George's copy of Potty Training in One Week. Her methods are controversial because they are quite strict and include such things as enforcing a schedule when babies are very young. It didn't suit me, but I did learn a thing or two from her books. She's one of those people that you either love or hate and discussions about her approach often generate quite heated debate.
Mumsnet's talk facility is specifically for mothers (or fathers) to support each other and to discuss issues relevant to parenting. It is unbelievable that the site has been forced into banning all mention of Gina Ford and her methods just because there are those on the site who disagree with her advice. It's not just about slander or libel, they are being forced to stop anyone from expressing his or her own opinion regarding GF, whatever it may be.
I remember the night that this controversy started. Gina Ford herself entered into a discussion online and said some pretty nasty, shocking things. She came across as a deeply troubled and insecure person and it seemed she may have had a drink or six. At least, I hope she wasn't rambling and saying such things while completely sober. She made a fool of herself and now she and her lawyers are punishing Mumsnet.
Gina Ford is a public figure trying to tell people how to raise their children. She is going to be criticised, her methods are going to be dissected and there are going to be people who disagree with them. There are also a huge number of people on Mumsnet who follow her methods and hold her up as a goddess. It goes both ways. There have been inapproriate personal comments made about Ms Ford on the site but they were deleted as soon as possible. People sometimes say things that aren't very nice but that is the nature of discussion forums (and life, really). I wholly support Mumsnet in this situation and find it surprising and sad that Gina Ford obviously isn't comfortable in her role, both good and bad, as a childcare expert. It is doubly sad that she has chosen to pick on Mumsnet which has been a huge support to me and thousands of other parents. Isn't Ms Ford's profession supposed to be helping parents? And now she and her lawyers are trying to destroy a huge parenting support network because some of the participants don't like Gina Ford's methods. Absolutely shocking.
If you support Mumsnet then please send them an email expressing your support. I'm telling everyone I know about this situation and pointing them to the link that explains it in full. I certainly will not be buying any more Gina Ford publications or products. Now that I have seen her true colours I would never support or take advice from such a person.
Monday, August 07, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
man - what a scandal - I feel so sorry for Mumsnet! I've never been a Gina Ford fan.. I always found it weird to take advice from a woman who doesn't have children. But I know there are some real fans of hers in the world.
I know how much you love Mumsnet, I'm sorry this is happening. :(
Post a Comment