Sunday, April 26, 2009

I can't believe it's been so long




It's been ages since I wrote a blog entry, but I've been spending more and more time on Facebook. It's so immediate and I can send updates from my phone. Actually, I could probably do that on blogger. I should look into it.

Over six weeks since I updated.... let's see, the biggest thing that happened is that we all went to Egypt. The children get two weeks off from school for Easter and we spent a week in Cairo. It was wonderful and exhausting. I've wanted to go since I was a child so it was a dream trip. The cultural difference were a bit tiring by the end - the begging, the tipping, the attention that the children received everywhere we went. At first it was lovely to have people commenting on how beautiful Toby and Rosie. Rosie especially got lots of attention, people stopping to kiss her or photograph her or have their photo taken with her. It was like being with a movie star. In fact in Khan el Khalilli market the traders were calling her 'movie star' or 'Shakira' (the blonde, belly-dancing singer). By the end of the week Jason and I were both on edge. It was getting overwhelming.

We went to see the pyramids twice, once in the evening and once in the morning. They are amazing. We went into the heart of the Great Pyramid right to the tomb at the centre. It was incredible. Such a steep climb and obviously very stuffy. Half of the climb we had to stoop over, even Tobes couldn't stand upright and there was a bit where you had to crawl through a small space on your hands and knees. I'm not usually claustrophobic but it did start to get to me and I had to sit down in a dark corner and pull myself together. I did manage to catch my breath and calm down and thank god I did. I don't know how they would've gotten me out of there if I'd had a panic attack or passed out.

Back in London we spent the rest of the break seeing friends and going up to Cambridge for the day. Now the children are back at school, spring has sprung and we've been enjoying the sunshine.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good to see you back! I've came away from FB, so it's nice to have a place to keep in touch. Annelouise

Anonymous said...

I've come away from FB. Glad you enjoyed the holiday. Missing you all - Mum x