Things are moving right along with the move and we should exchange contracts next week. We've had the results of the survey and all of the environmental searches. Very pleased to learn that the house is not built on toxic waste. I'm sure that tidbit of info was worth the hundred or so pounds it cost.
Tobes and I are going to Blackheath on Thursday to visit the flat and do some measurements. We're also hopefully meeting Philippa for lunch and then visiting Toby's school. I was hoping to get a list of parents' details from Toby's school and arrange a few playdates before he starts there but there are very strict rules here on giving out 'personal' information. In England, a phone number is considered personal. In the States we have the Freedom of Information Act while in Britain we have the Data Protection Act. They seem to basically be the exact opposite of each other. Can be very annoying sometimes but, if you have something to hide, it must be a great comfort.
So we're going to visit the school at snacktime so Tobes can meet his teacher and some of the other children. He's been a bit concerned about all the changes that are going on and I think this visit will help him get excited about the new school. They have a big Thomas the Tank Engine that the kids can play on and I know he's looking forward to that.
In preparation for school we've been working on the potty training. The general consensus is that it never works until the child WANTS to be potty trained. The trick is working out how to make that happen. I believe I've finally done that with Toby and it's so simple - outright bribery. If he does a wee in his potty he gets two Smarties (like M&Ms). He's yet to do a poo in the toilet but to encourage him I bought the biggest, most fantastic lollipop I could find and, when the magic day comes and he finally poos in the potty or toilet, he gets the lolly. No magic yet, but I'm optimistic.
The Big Prize if Tobes can stay dry for a whole day is the Charlie and the Chocolate Factory Chocolate Maker that he's been lusting over for weeks. He's trying very hard, bless him, and had just one accident yesterday. I suspect the Chocolate Maker will be his this weekend.
And the tears in the title are all mine. The pregnancy hormones are really kicking my backside when it comes to crying. This morning it was Toby's baby book that had me sobbing. Yesterday it was an ad for the NSPCC. A few weeks ago the arrival of Cupcake's stroller had me in tears and don't even let me look at a pair of her tiny socks. Thankfully, they're usually tears of joy. We have so much to be happy about. Sometimes I can't quite believe how wonderful life has become. Oh christ, must change the subject. Tears on the keyboard are probably not a good thing.
And J is off to New York on Tuesday. Does the man have a death wish, leaving his heavily pregnant wife to jaunt around the world?! This time it's only a couple of nights so I think we'll survive. He should be back in time to visit the flat and Toby's school on Thursday. Not so bad. BUT he's also going to Zurich two days after we move into the flat. Even more heavily pregnant, in a new home with unpacked boxes everywhere. The man might not see his 37th birthday.
Saturday, August 27, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment