Thursday, September 18, 2008

A couple of interesting articles

This one clarifies some of the lies and exagerations in the McPalin campaign. This bit particularly caught eye:

McCain Myth: Palin Traveled Abroad to Ireland

FACT: Palin Stopped In Ireland To Refuel Plane.

Palin’s Ireland Trip Was A Refueling Stop. Politico’s Ben Smith reported, “I wrote the other day that a Palin spokeswoman said trips to Germany, Kuwait and Ireland made up her foreign travel. Two details worth clarifying: The Ireland trip was a refueling stop on her trip to military installations in Germany and Kuwait, spokeswoman Maria Comella said. And she’s also visited Canada, another spokesman, Ben Porritt, says.” [Politico , 9/2/08]


As an American living abroad foreign policy is particularly important to me. I think being outside the country allows, in some ways, a clearer view of America's place in the world and it's definitely something we need to work on. I'm not saying making nice with everyone is the most important thing but I do think a bit more sensitivity and diplomacy would make things better for everyone.

I think the scariest thing about the "I can see Russia from my house" comment is that even though it was so close Palin has never visited Russia. That is mind-boggling. A country with an important role in world matters, so close to her home state and she obviously has national political aspirations and yet she's never been there.

A more uplifting and positive editorial is here. It's about the fuel crisis and how America and the American gung-ho attitude can make a difference.

No comments: