Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Walk like an American

I had a Mommy's Day Off on Sunday and went into London to meet up with my friend Natasha. Natasha isn't married and doesn't have children and it's always such a treat to see her and talk about things other than husbands, children, mortgages and schools. Not that I don't like talking about those things, but a change is nice every once in a while.

We went to see the Americans in Paris exhibition at the National Gallery and had lunch in the new Dining Rooms beforehand. Natasha was running late so I ordered a glass of wine and read my book uninterrupted for half an hour. That alone was worth coming out for. While I was waiting I noticed an elderly couple attempting to take a photo of themselves. The restaurant overlooks Trafalgar Square and has lovely views. I could tell they were American so I walked over and offered to take the photo for them. They were from New York and were very sweet, spending three weeks in the UK and having a lovely time. They asked where I was from and what I was doing in London and I got the usual 'Oh, your parents must miss you so much.'

After Natasha arrived we had a wonderful lunch. The restaurant uses only local, organic, in-season foods and everything from the bread to the salmon was delicious and so fresh. The exhibition was very well done, not too big but with a good variety of work. I saw some artists that I had never heard of before and saw some familiar friends too. I was very pleased to see that they had included Whistler's Mother which I had never seen except in books. Much larger and more powerful that I had imagined.

It was interesting to think about all of these Americans living abroad in Paris. Through the work you could see how they would start out trying to out-French the French and then eventually find a balance that incorporated what they had learned in Paris but allowed their unique talents to shine through. I could really identify with that process, the attempt to blend in and the realisation that that ain't never gonna happen.

Even in the paintings you could tell when a subject was American or European. Something about the way we move, the way we hold ourselves. There's always an informality, a casualness, that marks us out. You can spot Americans in London from a mile away. If it's not baseball caps and sneakers it the way we walk - loose-limbed arms swinging, somehow taking up more space than anyone else. I guess in the States we have a lot more space available.

I know I've adapted in many ways to living in England. I think that after such a long time it would be strange if I hadn't changed. My vocabulary is different, my accent is all over the place and I do my best to respect and follow the etiquette and social guidelines, but I hope I never lose my American physicality. I love the insouciance, the carefree naturalness in the way we move. I would feel very sad to lose it. I'm not worried yet though. The other day I was in a cafe with Rosie and Toby. The stroller was pushed right up next to my chair and when I needed to get up, instead of moving the stroller so I could easily stand up, I just kicked one leg and then the other over the stroller and then stood up. Not quite what a proper English girl would do.

3 comments:

eBeth said...

I agree that you can spot Americans at 40 feet! The only thing that I find weird is how loud 'we' are - very chatty and just plain old loud.

I think I've lost a LOT of my loudness... other Englishpeople may not agree!

K said...

So true. We were in Cafe Rouge today and I could hear an American guy talking. I could follow his conversation from across the room and it was crowded with people but I could still hear that American boom.

I think I'm quieter too. It does all go as soon as I get on the phone with Mom or Kellie though. Just the other night J was shushing me when I was talking and laughing with Kellie. You'd think he would be used to it by now!

Anonymous said...

in the picture of her in the car seat, is rosie by chance playing light as a feather stiff as a board? she looks like she could be standing at attention!
cute pictures! stacy:)