Monday, December 18, 2006

It's hard being in this family

I was just looking at the photos from Texas. I had some bad parma ham yesterday and wasn't feeling so great while sorting them out last night. It was nice to look at them today without thinking I might throw up. One of the things that made me laugh are the pics of me and Toby trying to take a photo of J in the shower. My family have always been big on practical jokes which was a shock to J when he joined up. He was so reserved and shy and, unfortunately for him, it just made him a bigger target.

When I was little Mom used to play jokes on us all the time. She would hide behind doors and tell us stories that ended with her jumping up and shouting something which made us jump out of our skins. Jon and I were terrible to each other. We would roll each other's room in toilet paper and he would tie my doorknob to the one across the hall so that I couldn't open my bedroom door and would have to climb out of my window and through the hedge. I remember once putting mascara on Jon while he slept, the night before swimming lessons. When he got in the pool the next day the mascara ran. So mean but so funny.

Then there was the time that Jon thought he would really get me. He put cling film over the toilet bowl and Vaseline on the inside bathroom doorknob. Then he sat in his room across the hall and waited for me to go in. Unfortunately, Dad went in before me. Dad shut the door, there was a moment of silence then "Jon!" then the doorknob started rattling as Dad tried to open the greased door and then "JON!!".

So, when I decided to pick the lock on the bathroom and try to get a naked photo of J, I was just following family tradition. The proof of this is that Dad walked down the hall and saw me standing in front of the bathroom door with an ice pick in one hand and a camera in the other. Did he looked shocked? Did he ask what the hell I was doing? Nope. He just asked who was in the bathroom and kept walking. I think he was just glad it wasn't him.

No comments: