Thursday, December 21, 2006

London fog

Growing up one of the stock images of London was the fog. I remember reading about it in novels, especially Sherlock Holmes. It was as much a part of London as Big Ben. Well, in all my years of living in England I have to admit that I've rarely experienced real fog. The occasional misty morning and early evening but nothing like the current state. When we left the house this morning we couldn't see the end of our street the fog was so thick. The heath looks like something straight out of a horror movie. It's well creepy, as Annelouise's Rowan would say.

It's funny how it changes the quality of sound too. Everything sounds more crisp, as if all the usual background noise is muffled into silence by the weight of the fog. All domestic flights from Heathrow have been cancelled and even some flights to Europe. It's causing chaos for people trying to get home for Christmas. They think we have about another 24 hours of it. Sounds nice to me. I'm actually enjoying it. The legendary London fog. Makes me want to get out my deerstalker and magnifying glass and look for a crime to solve, though I think I would probably look more like Elmer Fudd hunting wabbits.

No comments: