Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Motherhood necessitates invention


I was hoping to post our holiday pics tonight but one very small girl has kept me busy. Rosie Rae was not a happy gal this evening. There are a number of reasons why this may be.

1) The GP and chemist can't seem to get their act together and haven't fulfilled Rosie's formula prescription even though I put in my request last Thursday. We ran out of formula powder this morning so I was unable to give Rosie her bedtime bottle.

2) Rosie managed to get to some bread that Toby was eating. She was shoving it in her mouth as fast as possible when I saw her. I'm sure she got at least two good bites. It's a wholemeal granary bread and I'm wondering if the wheat has given her a poorly tummy.

3) She might be teething.

With all of these things in mind and after two hours of trying to get her to sleep I came up with a plan. First, a dose of Calpol to help with any pains she might be having. Second, a bottle of something. I had given her water but that obviously wasn't doing the trick. I thought about fruit juice but if the water didn't satisfy her then the juice probably wouldn't either. She needed something to satisfy her, fill her up. Finally I came up with a concoction. It reminded me of when I was little and would make 'potions' which usually consisted of things like milk, sugar and peppermint oil or milk and food colouring.

Rosie's potion contained 220ml of warm water, a teaspoon of enriched baby rice for vitamins and body, a teaspoon of olive oil for fat, half a teaspoon of sugar for calories and flavour and a teaspoon of Rosie's calcium supplement... for calcium. I put it all in a bottle, shook it up, offered it to Rosie and she drank it down. Five minutes later she was fast asleep. Hopefully I haven't poisoned her.

Better just go and check on her...

3 comments:

eBeth said...

man - that doesn't sound tasty at all!! But it sounds like it did the trick... hope you're okay. ;)

Anonymous said...

everyone needs a bed time toddy...and homemade recipes are the best! mr b & I enjoyed keeping up with your texas adventures while you were in america. love the picture...great christmas card potential!

Nikki B said...

i'm starting to understand why mom would put Coke in our bottles now. as in the soda, not the hard stuff. although the latter would explain a lot.