


The sun was actually out today so I took the children to the heath. I thought they could run around and I might get a chance to lay on the grass for a bit and soak up some sun. Wrong. The traffic seems to have some kind of gravitational pull on Rosie so I had to keep chasing her and bringing her back away from the road. We managed to get the kite up after untangling the world's biggest knot in the string. Now who could've put the kite away in such a mess? Hmmmm. It was a lovely afternoon though and I've attached some photos, mostly taken by Tobes. He's really good with the camera.
On Friday is the school bake sale and on Thursday we're having one of Toby's friends from school over with his mum to decorate cupcakes and cookies for the sale. I am so nervous about this visit. The mum is an interior decorator and her house is immaculate. I'm not talking quite nice and tidy. I'm talking IMMACULATE. Everything cream and placed just so. Beautiful cushions and curtains. Actual surfaces rather just places to put books and photos. Our place? Not so much. I do like to keep the flat clean, obviously, but it is quite lived in and rather full of stuff. It's also still only about 3/4 finished so not really a pulled together kind of home.
Having people over to the house is a much more intimate experience in England than it is in Texas. The homes are smaller here so we don't have the same separation of 'public' and 'private' spaces you often get in Texan homes. There's no living room, family room, play room, etc. Just the living room and that's where we hang out, watch TV, the children seem to keep half of their toys in here and it's where we have the home office. There's one bathroom so if a guest needs to use the loo, it's not a perfect little half bath that they go to, it's our bathroom. The one we showered in that morning. The one that Toby uses when he needs to wee (and leaves his mark behind more times than not). The one that holds all of our secret lotions and potions that keep us beautiful and regular. When someone walks from our kitchen to the living room they pass all of the bedrooms so the whole flat is on view. It can drive me crazy trying to get the place ready for a new visitor. You can imagine what I'll be doing between now and Thursday.
2 comments:
Carla feels your pain, with the house on the market she has to keep it model home clean all the time.
dull women have immaculate houses! enjoy your family and let the tidy bowl man do his magic along with mr clean and sara lee. life is too short to worry about a white glove visitor. and if she peeks behind the doors in the loo, so be it. last time i peeked the door fell off the hinges! cured me! sorta!
Post a Comment