Since we're not really having Thanksgiving here today I've been thinking of more Thanksgivings past. I was just reading Nikki's blog and she mentioned the Thanksgivings we had at Grandma's trailer. It could be jam packed with people, sitting on every possible perch and the floor trying to balance plates on knees. At least one year the weather was warm enough that they put blankets on the grass and the kids were sent outside for a picnic Thanksgiving lunch.
Before Tobes and Rosie were born I always worked on Thanksgiving Day. I remember our first Thanksgiving in England. We were so broke but I came home from work and managed to have roast chicken, mashed potatoes and broccoli. I was so proud I even took some photos of the food.
Another year I was at a meeting at the Imperial War Museum on Thanksgiving day and feeling very homesick and sorry for myself. We all had lunch in the museum cafe and I realised that there was a table of elderly American men next to us. I went over to wish them a happy Thanksgiving and we started chatting. They were WWII veterans. The five of them had reunited after fifty years for a memorial trip around Europe. Charming, inspiring men. Just chatting with them for a few minutes made it a memorable Thanksgiving day.
Thursday, November 22, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment