Friday, April 01, 2005

I can hear my brain working

Went to the doc's yesterday for a hearing test. About six months ago I started hearing a high pitched static sound all the time. It's been driving me crazy so I went to the GP and was referred to a specialist. Saw the specialist yesterday.

My GP had suggested tinnitis, which surprised me. Even as a teenager I was always careful not to turn my Walkman up too loud because I didn't want to damage my hearing (yes, I've always been a nerd). The only thing I could think of were the many, many..... many nights at Club A in my late teens. Was I really going to lose my hearing from dancing to Erasure at top volume?!

Well, I don't have tinnitis. To put it as succinctly as possible - the noise I hear is the sound of my brain working. Apparently, it happens sometimes that a person is able to tune into their subconscious and hear the background noise of neural activity. Often this happens in times of stress or anxiety. It started with me after the second miscarriage. The prescription? Ignore it and eventually I'll top noticing it and it'll disappear into my subconscious again.

Very weird.

Jason has been so supportive. When I told him what the doc said he asked me if the sound of my brain working was a ticking sound like a clock and if it was getting slower. Even better, Mary asked me if it sounded like a squeak as the hamster ran on its wheel. Nothing like the care and support of family and friends.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Could be worse. Imagine the embarrassment of the person going into the doctor and saying, "Well, it's like this. I keep hearing this noise; it's sorta like tumbleweeds blowing across the desert."

AL

Anonymous said...

better than a fart that everyone can hear!