Our summer topic is painting. I like to have something to fall back on when Toby is off school and I have both children at home. We did Ancient Egypt over the last half-term and this summer we're doing painting. We started with prehistoric painting.
I checked out a book from the library about cave paintings and talked to the children about how it was done. This afternoon I turned them loose with coloured chalks to decorate the sidewalk like cavemen then we started grinding up the chalks and mixing them with water to make paints. The children are out back now making a mural on the garden wall. Luckily it's all chalk so it will wash away in the rain expected tonight.
We tried making reverse handprints by blowing paint onto pieces of paper but it's surprisingly difficult to do. I have new respect for those cave painters. I've always wanted to go to Lascaux and see the paintings though the caves are closed to the public now. It must be an incredible feeling to look at something created by another person such a very long time ago.
I think we're going to jump forward a few thousand years and make our own egg tempera paints next week to make cardboard icons with gold leaf. Then we'll paint the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel the following week with paper taped to the underside of the dining table. Oh well, it keeps us all entertained.
Thursday, July 31, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment