A note of warning for those with a sensitive nature - there may be a few swear words in this entry. Or, as we say in Texas - I'm gonna do me some cussin'.
Came home after a really great day at the London Aquarium to find that our boiler is busted. The damn thing is barely a year old. First thing I did - freak out. Then I calmed down and called the number on the boiler. It's still under warranty and they're going to send someone out as soon as possible. Unfortunately, to them that means sometime on Monday. I said in my prissiest, poshest, most English accent 'Well, that's just not good enough is it.' I then ruined the whole effect by lapsing into Texan (it always comes out when I'm angry, tired or have drunk too much and I was two out of three by this point (angry and tired)) and said too loudly 'So whut the haaail are you gonna do 'bout it!' That completely blew my chances of any help. Rudeness is one of the greatest sins in England. Even after pleading my case of having a two year old baby and asking to speak to a superior I was quite tartly told that an engineer will be here on Monday, no sooner.
Once I banged the phone against the table a couple of times and thought about the situation I realised that we're really not that badly off. Our shower is electric, which means the water is heated on demand, so we'll still be clean. Our dishwasher works the same way so we'll have clean dishes. We'll be freezing our butts off but we won't smell bad. I even broke down and called J just so I could vent. He's in California with work this week and I hated doing it but just hearing his voice made me feel better and he reminded me that we have some electric heaters in the loft. So perhaps our butts won't be quite so cold.
I do have the joy of going up into the loft tomorrow to retrieve the heaters. That's going to be interesting. I can be remarkably coordinated when it comes to things like roller skating, swimming, dancing, but I'm also a complete klutz. I have visions of crashing through the ceiling, ladders falling down the stairs. Ah well, it's going to be a little adventure.
And then there's this little conversation which was had right after the phone/table banging:
Toby: (with a quizzical look) Mama angry?
Me: Yes, darling but not with you. I'm angry at the boiler because it's not working.
T: (to the boiler) Naughty boiler! Say sorry to Mama.
He just melts my heart.
Thursday, January 27, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
so, is tobey going to hold the ladder while you climb into the space where heaters and other electricity gobbling items are kept? please be careful. you can't blog with a broken arm and if it weren't for that texas accent and state quilt that was on the buggy a while back, you would be missing liz and andrew and the princess! stay warm, clean, on your diet and out of the freezer looking for frozen treats cause that will let more cold air into the room!
ok, so it is now 3PM american time, 8PM your time and you have not posted a word today. are you ok? did you fall out of the loft? are you frozen? locked in the loo? at Tesco buying more pez to stay out of the cold house? WHAT?! it is cold here as well and ice is predicted for late tonight and all day tomorrow. for those of you not from the south, this means there is not a loaf of bread, a gallon of milk or a bag of crips and cookies on any store shelf in atlanta. we are not prepared for snow or ice and we freak out. me? why, i am going shopping this afternoon with 2 coworkers!!! i like to live on the edge of slippery and bankruptcy. happy weekend to all. nana
I can promise warm and clean but I'm a bit iffy on the diet. My dieting buddy did just lose 6 pounds though so I'm hoping my competitive streak will kick in.
And, yep, we're fine. So nice that you asked!
And good luck with the shopping. Hope there's something left for you!
went to the scholastic book sale ...got our tots some new books to read! will bring them with me when i deliver the chips ahoys! cold and ice on the windshield in pellets...grumpa is still stuck in publix buying necessary items for a one day storm! sure hope he brings home the oreos!!! there isn't a cow within miles of any grocery store who is not holding her hoofs over her udder! we go nuts in this county for milk at the slightest hint of snow or ice as you well know. ok..off to snuggle up with a great book..old favorite, winter solstice by rosamond pilcher. stay warm. nana ps..glad you came down outta the loft all in one piece. watch out for the scaries behind the shower curtain!
Post a Comment