Sunday, May 15, 2005

Family Get-together

One of Dad's brothers and a sister came over today and we had a little family get-together. I hadn't seen Uncle Joe and Aunt Charlene in about fifteen years or Aunt Jean and Uncle JD in about two years. It was really good to see them. Mom and I made ham in Coke and corn casserole and Grandma made pinto beans. Then for dessert I made some 'English' specialities - a trifle and something resembling a Victoria sponge. There were a few modifications for American tastes and everything was a big hit.

We sat around, drank buckets of iced tea and talked about family history. I tried to catch up with all the current news surrounding my cousins but there are fourteen of us and a few were missed out. It sounds like everyone is doing well for the most part. A lot of babies on the way, which seems to be the norm on the Black side of the family. Uncle JD was saying that all babies take nine months to get here... except for the first one which seems to take about six. We've had more than a few shotgun weddings in the family. Of course, since Tobes was born the same year as our ten year anniversary J and I are quite an oddity. That's a very long gestation period.

As everyone was talking I was collecting family names for our baby list. Ones I liked are Pearl and Ruby for a girl and Ellis, Albert and Kirby for a boy. The list is long though and we haven't really settled on anything yet.

Mom and Dad are back at work tomorrow but Nikki will be here until late afternoon. We're goign to hit Target and go out for lunch. I'm going to try to get some vegetables into Toby. He did eat Grandma's beans today but only after I explained that they would make him fart. Strange how a little gas can be so appealing to a little boy.

No comments: