Nikki left on Friday and I've been moping ever since. When I'm down I clean. Today I cleaned out the fridge including removing and washing each shelf, scrubbed the bathroom taps to remove all the limescale, washed the children's bath mat with bleach, cleaned the doors of the kitchen cupboards, cleaned the garbage bin and did five loads of laundry. Yes, I'm missing Nikki just a little bit.
Her actual leaving was quite manic as Heathrow was in full chaos as only Heathrow can be. Nikki was one of the last people to get on the plane because the lines and delays at security were so long. She did make it to Boston though, where she's staying with her friend Mary, and will head back to California on Wednesday.
I know the children are missing her too. I rang Nikki yesterday and Toby said 'Tell her that we miss her, Mommy.' A few days before Nikki left Rosie started saying 'Kikki' and has been asking for 'Kikki' ever since. Thank goodness it's just a few months before we see her again for Thanksgiving.
It was so great having her here. We talked a lot about our childhoods. A lot of things we shared like spying on Jon through the AC vents and Mom's Christmas cookies but a lot of things were different too. There are nine years between us so while my childhood memories include Nancy Drew books and wanting to look like Linda Blair in Roller Boogie, Nikki's were all about Sweet Valley High and Grease 2. I remembered 'Chinese night' when Mom and I would wear cheong sams and we would eat dinner sitting on the floor, lots of baking with Mom and even once having a taffy pull. By the time Nikki came along Mom and Dad were that bit older and had three children so her memories were more about pee wee drill team and me sneaking her into inappropriate places like clubs on Sixth Street when she was 11 or letting her drive my car when she was 9. I left home when Nikki was 11 so there are a lot of things that I missed. It was nice to hear about it all and to have the time to really talk.
I think Toby saw a different side to his Mom. More than once Nikki and I would be sharing stories, rehashing old family tales or just bursting into song at the breakfast table and Toby would look at us both with surprise and rapt attention. I suspect he's saving some of the stories for future use. Jon and I played endless practical jokes on each other when we were growing up and I'm sure my stories gave Toby more than a few ideas.
So, now life goes on. A bit more quietly. It was wonderful having Nikki here. So young and fresh and (dare I say it) American. She kept me on my toes and being with Nikki reminded me of who I was before marriage and babies and England. It was nice to reaquaint myself with some of the qualities that I've lost along the way. After a summer with my little sister I definitely have a lighter spirit and my toenails have never looked better.
Monday, September 04, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Any time you want to come over and miss Nikki at my house - you'd be welcome to come and tidy! :) :) :) I know it's difficult getting used to 'normal' after such a wonderful summer.. :)
Post a Comment