Tuesday, September 26, 2006

D'ya ever have one of those days?

J left the house just after 7am for work. He had a meeting in Oxfordshire today and needed an early start. I had been awake since about 5.15am and out of bed since 6.15am. The children have had a string of terrible nights. From Rosie's teething to Toby falling out of bed it's been hell. They both want to get up about 5.30 most mornings too so J and I have been zombies.

This morning was one of the worst ever. Rosie was tired and cranky and kept screaming, not out of sadness but out of anger and frustration. She's at that age where she thinks she can do more than she actually can is always trying to keep up with Toby. Toby has suddenly realised that there's someone in the house smaller than him and has started bossing Rosie around. Well, I guess it's more that he tries to be a little parent to her. He's constantly telling her what she can't do and sometimes he'll eat something that she can't have, like a cookie, right in front of her. Every time she tries to take a bite he'll say 'No, you can't have this Rosie. It has wheat in it.' Then take another big bite. Little stinker.

Of course, I do intervene but this morning they were getting on each other's nerves and they were both driving me crazy. Finally managed to get Tobes to school and thought I would have a coffee while Rosie napped. She woke up as soon as the cup hit the table and I ended up leaving almost a whole cup to go cold while I dealt with her.

I had booked a session at the gym at 2.00 and had booked both children into the creche. Rosie has decided that she hates the creche so I thought having Toby there with her might help. I was really looking forward to my quiet time on the treadmill. It's so stress-relieving.

We rushed through lunch and I miraculously got both children in the car on time. I got behind the wheel, turned the key... and nothing. The engine didn't respond at all. I tried again... and again. I was ready to bang my head on the steering wheel. Back inside I called the creche to cancel, texted J and called RAC to come out and take a look at it. J rang and asked if I had checked whether or not the car had been left in gear. I hadn't.

Back to the car. Sure enough the last time I drove the car I had left it in reverse! I put it in Park, turned the key and the engine sprang to life. Ran back in the house to cancel the RAC call-out. I thought about still trying to go to the gym but the way my day is going I just know I would break my neck on the treadmill.

1 comment:

eBeth said...

man that sounds like a bad day.. i hope today is better. :)