OK, last week a house on our street came onto the market. We're in a flat made by knocking two houses together and then turning each floor into one big flat. Hard to imagine but cleverly done. We decided to view the house just to see if it was worth the price to stay close to the village. At the same time I booked a viewing for a house in Lee Green which is the other neighborhood we're considering. It's a bit further from the village, though still walking distance to St Margaret's and it's very near Manor House Gardens. Plus it seems that half of Toby's class live in the neighborhood which would be great for the children.
The day before the viewing the agent called to say sorry but the Quentin Road house had accepted an offer of the full asking price and been taken off the market. We decided to go ahead and see the house in Lee Green just out of interest... I loved it! It's an Edwardian terraced house with a loft conversion. Five bedrooms (though two are quite small), a bathroom and a shower room. It also has a garden which Toby loved and a summer house. They've kept lots of the original features including fireplaces in all of the original rooms and an old freestanding claw-foot tub in the main bathroom. I've already been thinking of wall colours.
So, I went to the estate agent and made an offer this morning. It's a low offer but the house does need some renovation and updating. They're coming to value our flat tomorrow and then we'll see... J is in Sydney and Tokyo this week. I can already hear the stories in the future "I went on a one week business trip and Katherine sold the flat and bought a house while I was away!"
In other news, Toby has suddenly had a growth spurt. Jeans that fit him last week are now too short and he's gone up a shoe size. We had to go out to Bluewater yesterday and get some new Geox (it's what all the five year old boys are wearing apparently) and we got Rosie a potty. I really wanted the pink Princess potty but Rosie wanted the one with a lion on it. Ah well, I like a girl that knows her own mind so we got the lion potty. Last night I stripped Rosie for her bath and asked if she wanted to sit on the potty and try to do a wee. She said "No". I decided to respect her wishes, not wanting to start any negative associations with the potty, etc, etc. Then when I turned my back to turn off the taps she picked up her potty and wee'd on the floor. Not quite right but hopefully we'll get there.
This week Toby is at the church holiday club each morning. We arrived this morning to find most of his friends there and Tobes was thrilled. It's funny how involved we're becoming with the church now that Tobes is going to a church school. J and I are such heathens but I even made it into the parish newsletter last month working on the school summer fair. I have nothing against religion and I do think it's important to have all the information. I'm just lacking in that most important element of faith. I would feel too hypocritical calling myself a christian when I don't really believe but, saying that, the Church of England is a lovely, liberal, very laid back religion (created so that Henry VIII could grant himself a divorce!) and it has a nice community attached to it which is wonderful for the children.
Monday, July 23, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Ooooh, that house is lovely! Good luck!
The floor plans are interesting. So different than anything here.
Post a Comment