Friday, July 22, 2005

One of those mornings

Had to get Tobes to school this morning because they're making a little video. He had to be there at 9.30 and when I opened my eyes the clock said 8.45. Bugger. We both needed baths since I had to go to the hospital last night and Tobes was too tired for his bath before bed. [More about the trip to the hospital in the baby blog.] So I jumped out of bed... well, the closest thing to jumping a heavily pregnant woman can do... I kind of rolled over and stood up very slowly then got in the shower. As soon as I got out I started running Toby's bath.

Tobes had caught my sense of urgency and was undressing himself in preparation for his bath. When he took his nappy off he whipped it off so fiercely that a big poo flew out of it, stuck to the bathroom wall for a second and then slowly slid down to the floor. Leaving a nice muddy smudge in its wake. We both froze for a second, mesmerised by the poo, then I sprang into action again. So I was naked, still dripping wet and trying to clean poo off of the wall, floor and Tobes before getting him into the bath. Once he was settled and soaking I ran around trying to find something for us to wear.

I ended up grabbing a sheer gypsy top that I had worn the day before. I wear it with a tank top underneath but they were all downstairs in the pile of folded laundry on the sofa. I threw the top on and planned to change into a tank when we went downstairs. I looked at the clock - 9.24!! Yikes! Ran back into the bathroom, washed Toby's hair, got him out of the bath, dried and dressed him then tried to help him brush his teeth while I brushed mine at the same time.

Then the phone rang. It was J. There's a problem with the insurance for the new car and he wanted to discuss it. No time. I rambled out the situation and, though he probably didn't understand a word I was saying, he said he would call back later. Fine. Click.

Tobes and I ran downstairs, shoved our shoes on, grabbed my bag and ran out the door. I was just closing the door behind me, thinking how cold it felt this morning, when I realised that my boobs were showing through my sheer top for all the world to see. Ran back in the house, grabbed a tank top, put in on in the hall, put the sheer top back on and ran out the door again. This time we were fully dressed but both of us still had wet hair.

Amazingly, got Tobes to school just a few minutes late! Now, how on earth would I ever accomplish another morning like that with a second baby? Actually, I know exactly what would happen - we'd get to Toby's school and as I was strolling back home, feeling relieved, I would suddenly remember that I had left the baby upstairs in her bed.

2 comments:

eBeth said...

i'm glad you noticed before anyone else did!! hospital? not on baby blog yet - you okay?

Anonymous said...

you crack me up! you and liz should write a book as no one would really believe it....the prince the princess and poo! you could make a million and retire happy mummies!