From what I'm hearing it sounds like Rita has just hit land. I'm very tempted to call Dad, I bet he's up even though it's 4am in Texas, but I don't want to wake up the whole house. The hurricane has been downgraded and the winds have reduced but it's still a big one. It looks like Mom and Dad's house is right in the path too.
I spoke to Mom yesterday and she said they didn't have flood insurance on the house, which worries me. I asked if she had put everything up high, off the ground and she said no. She hadn't thought about it. Her biggest fear is the roof coming off the house and everything being destroyed. Dad thinks their roof will be fine but they'll lose some shingles. I hope he's right.
They live in the middle of four acres and they have a lot of crawfish in the yard which makes me think that the area could easily flood. If crawfish are happy there must be a lot of water in the soil.
When I talked to Mom she was more concerned at that moment about getting the cat litter sorted out and they were going to pick up my cousin Tessha and her kids. I could tell by the grave tone of Dad's voice that he was worried but enjoying all the excitement. I think Dad would love to be a storm chaser. I remember as kids sitting out on the back porch with Dad, all of us wrapped in quilts watching storms build and even driving around in the car and watching tornadoes (from a distance, of course). I can just see Dad now in his police-issue yellow rain slicker, standing outside watching the storm while languidly smoking a cigarette. I'm sure that's where my love of extreme weather comes from.
Jon, Dyllin and Jon's fiance Angie are all up in Dallas so I know they're safe too. Angie is from Lake Charles, Louisiana and her hometown is taking a beating too. I guess it'll all be over in a few days and then we'll know what the real damage is.
Saturday, September 24, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment