Friday, September 23, 2005

Rita update

I managed to speak to Dad yesterday. I got him on his cell as he was part of the mass exodus out of Houston. Dad works in the state prison system and he had been evacuating prisoners for two days, hadn't slept since Tuesday. Mom and Dad live in a little town called Silsbee just north of Beaumont. The drive from Beaumont to Silsbee usually takes about thirty minutes. Yesterday it took four hours.

Mom and Grandma were already headed up to Uncle Wayne's place and Dad was going home to get some sleep and was then going to drive up there too. Dad sounded tired and I know it'll be a long weekend for them. Grandma went into a nursing home recently suffering from dementia and one of her latest delusions is that Dad is trying to kill her. I think it's going to be a very tense weekend at Uncle Wayne's.

Mom had packed photographs and keepsakes in the car, just in case. The latest news is that the hurricane is going to hit hardest at Port Arthur which is about forty miles from Silsbee. Doesn't sound good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The storm continues to weaken it is currently a category 3 so it has gone from 175 mph winds to 125 mph. Still nothing to sneeze at. The projected path looks like a direct hit on Port Arthur with the worst winds on the right side hitting Beaumont and that area. Hopefully it will continue to weaken and not stall in East Texas which would cause some pretty good flooding. I hope your parents are safe and comfortable. We have room if anyone needs a place. Landfall is soon..maybe around 4am our time.