I've been thinking about my feeling of unease and I think it's because we're talking about moving AGAIN. In the last five years we've moved five times, and usually big moves - Cambridge to London, London to Tokyo and back again, London to a flat in Chislehurst and then six months later we moved into our house. We've been here just over a year and now we're talking about moving back into London to an area called Blackheath. We miss London and I think it would be the right move for us but.... GAHHHD! It makes me tired just thinking about it.
I need a hometown, an anchor. I like feeling a part of a community and, now that I'm sure we'll leave Chislehurst, I don't want to invest myself too much here. So we're just floating. Trying to find a place to put down roots. I think there's more urgency now that we have Toby. I lived in the same small suburb of Dallas from the age of 4 - 20 and it was great. I want the same for Tobes. My parents live about four hours drive away from Dallas now and I think that contributes to my feeling of being disconnected. When we visit them it's not my old home, just the place where my parents live.
But all of that is a huge and probably lifelong issue. I'll worry about it for a few days then put it back in its box ready to come out another day.
The lunch yesterday went really well. It was great to see Pete and Philippa and the food all turned out really nice (God bless Nigella). Then around midnight last night J woke up, went to the loo and was violently sick. I don't think it was the food though because Tobes and I have felt fine. Jason has been ill off and on for about six weeks but hasn't stopped long enough to really recover. He had a wisdom tooth pulled on Wednesday and I think that's just pushed his body over the limit. Poor guy is upstairs sleeping now and will see the doc this afternoon. Hope they can help but I think rest is going to be his best medicine.
Going back to his tooth, I was very surprised that they didn't stitch it. He just has an open hole where the tooth used to be. They also didn't give him any antibiotics to combat infection and no painkillers either. It's been a long time but when I worked for a dentist in Dallas he always put in a couple of stitches, prescribed antibiotics and painkillers. Have things changed or is this a British/National Health difference? I hate things like that. Cutting corners to save money. I had to fight for J's doctor's appointment today too. Our practice here is completely crap to be perfectly honest. I don't think I've seen the same doctor twice and half the time it's just temporary locums with no investment in the practice or local community. Grrrrrrr, drives me crazy.
I talked to Mom and Dad last night and Nik is doing well in Chicago. She's been doing a lot of sightseeing and getting to know the city. Sounds like she's having a good time.
And tomorrow is Shrove Tuesday which is celebrated as Mardi Gras in Texas - with drinking, crawfish, music and King cakes - and is Pancake Day in England - with, uh, pancakes. I do like Pancake Day though and we're having Toby's playgroup over to eat pancakes and make Valentine's Day cards. Traditionally the English pancakes are more what I would call a crepe - very thin cakes that you roll and serve with lemon juice and sugar. I thought it would be easier to eat Amercan-style silver dollar pancakes, which are very small ones. I'm going to do blueberry and banana with a little sugar on top and we can have them with our tea in the afternoon after all the strenuous card making. Really looking forward to it.
Monday, February 07, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
i understand about feeling discomboobolated! not being a part of a community or church tends to make one feel at odds some times. it will take a while to find, sell and move, so go ahead and put out a small root, just not a tap one. liz and andrew are in the same situation at times with no close neighbors to call on in emergencies or for a cup o'sugar. but on the happy side, you have a play group and PANCAKES! and we know how you love pancakes. eat one for the nana! hope j gets better too. we are surrounded by cold and flu germs here right now and it is awful. dentists here do take a little better care and so do the doctors---IF you can get in to see one. most doctors are booked months ahead if you need a physical or a scheduled appointment. i am thinking a voodoo doll might be a better investment for all my aches and pains..i can move the pins around from joint to joint and have her tell me take 2 aspirins and call me in the morning! happy monday.
Post a Comment