Thursday, February 10, 2005

My boy wants to potty all the time...

Feeling so much better so I thought I would tackle the mountain of chores, errands, things 'to do' that have piled up while we've been ill. First thing was the laundry which, for reasons discussed in my earlier message, is always a huge pain. I've managed to do four loads now - one is being cooked in the 'dryer' and three are dispersed around the house and steaming on the radiators.

Next, a good tidy-up, organise the recycling, sort out Toby's toys and find something for dinner that will be gentle on the stomach.

And the final task... the one I've been dreading... start potty training. Toby is actually supposed to be fully toilet trained before he starts preschool on the 21st but, because it's a new school and they need students, they're willing to be a little flexible. He can start in a Pull-Up but we have to start training now in the hope that once he sees the other kids using the bathroom he'll want to do the same.

Now, here's the problem. Tobes has always loved his potty and for months now he's been quite happy to sit on it and produce a dribble of wee or even a tiny poo a couple of times. The part he doesn't understand is NOT weeing and pooing in his pants. He doesn't seem to understand that he should hold it in and then put it all in the potty. I've been trying to communicate this to him but it's just not getting through and I fear the house will start smelling like the stairwell of an Underground station soon, if it doesn't already.

Oh well, I'm willing to test the limits of the school's fexibility on this issue. I don't want for it to become a big stessful thing for Toby (or me!) so we'll just take it as it comes.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Eddie Murphy lyrics on a Friday? Perfection. Have a great weekend, hope you are all back on the road to health.

It was Foundation Day here today, all the Black Vans and Rising Sun flags were out. We had great fun flaunting our gaijin ways in front of them. Annelouise

K said...

I thought if anyone caught that reference it would be J or you, Annelouise! Now I've got that song stuck in my head.

Ah, Foundation Day. I do not miss the black vans and sound systems blaring Japanese rhetoric all day.