Saturday, February 19, 2005

I Love London

Had the most fantastic day in London. I made a picnic lunch for the train then we decided to splurge and rather than tackle the Underground we took a taxi to the theatre. Postman Pat was really cute. Tobes was a bit reticent when he heard there was a dragon in the play, but after the interval he was singing along with the other children.

After the play we took another taxi to Covent Garden. I love it there. We watched the street performers on the cobbled square and then, as if by magic, it started to snow! It was a perfect London moment.

We ducked into the warmth of Porters for a dinner of pie and chips for J, suet pudding and veg for me and chicken, chips and baked beans for Tobes with a chocolate chip pudding and chocolate custard for dessert. It was all wonderful. By the end of the evening we were talking about moving to Covent Garden.

Once we got back to Chislehurst we decided to do a drive-by at the flat in Blackheath. We wanted to see it at night and see how busy and noisy things were on a Saturday night in Blackheath. J fell in love with the flat too! Now we're both desperate to get it. We go for another viewing at 11.30 tomorrow and, if J likes the inside as much as he likes the outside, we'll make an offer. I'm so excited but so nervous too.

OK, going to go spend some time with J now that Tobes is down for the night. We took some pics today and I'll post them ASAP.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kathy, this post made me pine for the UK. What a great day.

There is a downside to living in Covent Garden (well, two, if you include the lifts at the underground breaking down and having to climb up over a thousand stairs - the most in the system. Makes Omotesando Station look like a slight incline)- mimes.

AL

K said...

I remember once, in our youth, we decided to 'beat the crowds' at Covent Garden station and took the stairs up! I thought I was going to need CPR before I reached the top. I just kept imagining collapsing half-way up and someone finding me months later when some other foolish person decided to beat the crowds.