Thursday, February 10, 2005

Oddities of Britain I

I love living in England but sometimes I just have to vent. Do feel free to add your own observations!

  • Ice, or the lack of it in cold drinks. I know this is an easy shot but it does irritate me. Tobes and I went to McDonalds recently and my Diet Coke didn't have a bit of ice in it and it wasn't even very cold. I've heard the whole climate argument - not hot here so people don't care about ice, etc - but come on, it's not about temperature it's about taste. Coke tastes so much better ice cold and yet I have lots of English friends who keep their Coke on the counter or in a cabinet and drink it at room temperature! It even says on the bottle 'Best served ice cold' so it's really just a matter of following instructions. You wouldn't drink a mug of cold tea or coffee so why drink a lukewarm Coke??

  • Electric windows in cars on the front two windows only. It seems strange to me to have both electric and crank windows in one car but if you're going to do this then shouldn't the electric windows be in the back? If the driver is the only person in the car he or she can always lean across and crank down the passenger window but they would have to be a contortionist to reach around and crank down the back windows. I know because I've tried and I am definitely no contortionist. Just doesn't make sense to me.

  • This is a big one - lorries (semis) on the M25 during rush hour. I wish I had a pound for the number of times I've sit in parking lot traffic on the M25 surrounded by lorries. Remove the trucks and it would make a HUGE difference. In Texas most things are shipped by truck overnight so you don't get these huge vehicles clogging up the roads all day. Here it seems that truck drivers work 9-5 like everyone else which means that the roads are packed with lorries all day while everyone else is trying to get to work and back again. There should be restricted hours for shipping, at least during rush hour but preferably making all shipping an overnight job. Jason says that it would cost the companies too much because they would have to pay the drivers extra to work 'unsociable' hours. I say the government should supplement that money to make it possible. It would greatly improve the traffic situation and probably save money in the end because they wouldn't need to build new roads. Someone elect me Mayor of London please!

  • Not having a clothes dryer. Yes, they do have dryers in England but you don't see them very often. First, you need to have room for one. If you're lucky enough to have a good-sized kitchen you'll probably go for a dishwasher in the extra space rather than a dryer (and often there's not even room for a dishwasher). I've seen people with a dryer in their dining room, but I wouldn't like that. We have a combination washer/dryer in our kitchen which means that the dryer part is a condensation dryer and isn't vented so it basically cooks the clothes dry and it takes quite literally HOURS to dry a very tiny load of clothes. So what you generally get is loads of damp laundry hanging up on all the radiators and any available hanging space inside the house (so often it's too cold or wet to hang them outside). It just seems so Victorian and silly in the 21st century to have clothes hanging up all over the house. What I wouldn't give for a separate utility room with a big top-loading washer and huge vented dryer. Ahhhhh, now that's luxury.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

man oh man...you hit lots of english oddities right on the head. it was great to hang clothes outside when we were with 'liz in july & oct, but i don't think grumpa will be making the trip to the line next week. ice is a thing of taste obviously, i like my coke cold too! and the traffic? well, where do i vote for you? we were in a black cab and could literly reach out and touch a lorrie next to us....but we couldn't get the window down!!! hope you are feeling better...i tried to tell you to be careful and take care of yourself. last call for my import business...do you need good cold drugs from walmart? i will be arriving with a bag full of americana next week!

K said...

I've actually got a cupboard full of everything that Tylenol produces. One of my usual things to stock up on when we're in Texas. Looking forward to seeing you!

eBeth said...

man i'd give an arm or something for a tumble dryer! i miss having one sooo much. i've started buying ice at the grocery store and cramming it in the freezer - i couldn't take lukewarm any longer!

Anonymous said...

'bout those rear windows....I'm fairly certain it's a safety issue...a few years ago a child got throttled because he put his head through the window and puhed the 'up' button. No-one else in the car. i know the makers should have fixed it by now but once it's in your mind you proably go for the more difficult wind-up.
The warm coke is like warm beer - who drinks this stuff????
The trucks? I think the Germans have it sussed, they have miles and miles of motorway where trucks are not allowed to overtake. Take th trucks away and ban middle lane drivers and the M25 will be easy.

Cherrylicious said...

Ha!ha!ha!

Great subject!

I don't know of any english oddities but i can sure tell you for France.

In France, they don't have screens in their windows so in the summer, if you turn your lights on at night, your place is soon swarmed over by mosquitoes & night butterflies. Ican't believe they build amazing cathedrals but haven't figured out how to keep the bugs out yet.

I totally sympatize for the lack of tumble dryer. We are lucky to have one (although it's stacked on top of the washing machine in the bathroom (with no bath... just a shower).